View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
See, for me, production means producing, which is points. Value to a team is everything else - his ice time, his versatility, and his locker room presence.

Raisy - You're comparing an incredible club with the one we have now. Posa, on those two teams, wouldn't be within the top four, or even five. That doesn't say much, though, given we had guys like Dale Mitchell and Scott Timmins who could have been fourth-line guys with us. For what it's worth, I'd take Posa over Kwiet and Duininck, respectively.

Production isn't the end-all and be-all of the defencemen. A guy like Ebert is supposed to put up points. Guys like Bateman and Murphy are supposed to put up points, eventually. Posa has never been known as a points guy, but he's valuable (from a non-statistical POV) in other ways. You're not always going to get, or need, your veterans to put up 30-40 points a year to be successful. Sometimes, you need that quality guy on the ice who goes about his job efficiently, without having a need to put up points. That's Posa.
I'm with you on that for sure. Kwiet was a pretty poor skater compared to Posa, and Posa is far more reliable than Duininck. Harry Young as a captain didn't put up points, but he fought and had a world class team to lead. Posa doesn't fight and we aren't winning, cue the whining about his abilities. Watch the way he sticks to guys like glue when they are rushing towards the net and how he keeps his stick in the passing lanes. He uses his skating and smarts to shut down opportunities all the time, which can be just as effective as physical intimidation. It doesn't matter how the puck gets cleared without giving up a scoring chance, only that it does. Points shmoints.