View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
That started decades ago. There was an excellent article in TIME about a year or two ago that chronicled the fall of Detroit. In the first half of the 20th century, it was called the Paris of the West--- stunning architecture, parks, and all the economic benefits of what the auto industry had spawned during its heyday. Once the civil rights unrest and race relations worsened, white flight began in earnest in the 1960's and into the 1970's. Entire sections of the city were abandoned, burned out. I don't remember the actual acreage involved, but one of the reclamation proposals was to turn all that empty space back into farmland and open space. We are talking about hundreds of acres of land.

The city proper doesn't even have a million people living in it any longer, I think it's down to 706K now. At it's peak, in 1950, the city had 1,850,000 people. Now.... read that again and correct for the time period. In 1950, that made Detroit the 5th largest city in the US, behind only NYC, Chicago, Philly, and LA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_United_States_Census

706k? Wow. That's nothing.

I always thought Detroit had 5+ million people. Seemed like a huge, productive city in my mind.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote