View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think he's better than Scandella, Falk, Stoner, Prosser, and everyone at the AHL level (minus Brodin), but I wouldn't consider him a top 4 league-wide; if that makes any sense. I think he's a bottom pairing guy being paid like a second pairing guy.

Part of the problem for me may be based on that I do find value in Cullen's game and some just don't. I think he's one of the best PK guys this team has and I believe a 3rd line wing best suits his skill set as he won't be looked upon for sound production. In that role, he should score at a clip that will be very valuable. Given that and the other roles he fills, if this team wants to make the playoffs and make a little bit of noise, he's probably not a guy I'd be looking to move.
For just this year though? The idea is, if Brodin is who we think he is, Hjalmarsson becomes our #4 in a short amount of time. Yes, he'd be overpaid, but our #3 would be underpaid during his tenure.

If Cullen is only here for this year only (not a given, but likely IMO), and we can turn him into a guy who would play in our top 4 for the next 2-4+ years, and be somewhat of a mentor for Brodin (maybe I'm playing that up too much), I don't see Cullen as not expendable. Maybe Hjalmarsson is just the wrong target, I don't know.