Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Nitpicking much? The very first sentence in the "Europe" article in Wikipedia goes: "Europe is, by convention, one of the world's seven continents."
Europe is a continent only by an unusual agreement. By natural basis it should not be a continent of it's own. I guess Europe is considered its own continent mainly because Europeans don't want to be mentioned together with the Asians.

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. Because you hold Europe and Asia to be one continent, the current KHL name is just fine, isn't it?
The name Kontinental Hockey League is fine because it basically says the KHL is spread through one continent, the Eurasian continent. But the name Eurasian Hockey League would have been even more descriptive because it would also name the continent where the KHL is played

Quote:
It's clear, though, that should there be a world-wide hockey league one day (it's permitted to dream, right?), neither the monicker of NHL or KHL will do. It would have to be something like GHL (Global Hockey League). I would keep the Stanley Cup as the world's top hockey trophy, however, because it has by far the longest tradition. (No offence to Mr. Gagarin.) Gagarin Cup could be given to the winner of the "European Conference" or "Eastern Conference" (comprising Europe and Asia), and the winner of Gagarin Cup would then play in the GHL play-off finals against the winner of the "American Conference" or "Western Conference" (= the entire current NHL) for the Stanley Cup.
This is a distant dream now. Different time zones. Different economic strengths. Different cultures. Different languages.

I don't see that happening. Maybe there could eventually be a trophy called World Cup which will be played by the winners of the NHL and the KHL. Maybe a best of three or best of five series. Then again maybe not. The Stanley Cup is the biggest trophy for the North Americans and I just don't see them competing with the KHL teams with same intensity.

It was different when the USSR was still around. The North Americans wanted to beat the Red Army and the Soviet national team as badly as they wanted to win the Stanley Cup. But times are different now.