View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I think what we cannot help, is putting unreal expectations of our prospects developing more quickly than they should. Zibanejad has shown a lot of instances of skill... so I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to him lacking it.

I am not making excuses... Go read the Silfverberg article on Sens Extra and he talks about the difficulty of adjusting to the ice surface... obviously his teammate is having the same issues.

Regarding pace of development, we did the same with Lehner... expecting him to be an NHL'r a few years ago. I know a lot on here thought he was done last season and would never be NHL ready... I recall the threads. People said about Silf a few years ago that he would not develop into anything great because of the pace of his scoring and then he made a quantum leap last season.

I'm not saying get ready for Zibanejad to be a superstar, but one thing I've been good at is seeing skill and having a little bit of intuition about players. I am no professional, but I am definitely not a fool. I say patience for all of our prospects. Stone made one excellent pass in the playoffs last season and people believe he should be in the NHL. The reality is that stats are usually measured over a longer period than shorter and that player development in any sport is not linear. There are plateaus, valleys and the like... just as the roller coaster you were talking about.
Penciling our prospects into the top 6 with definite confidence before them playing even half a season of NA hockey is not being patient.