View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
You know what... If the Finnish economy is down on its knees, perhaps that's the ideal scenario for a Finnish team to join the KHL. I'm half-kidding, but Slovakia's economy is in a terrible state, we're feeling the full impact of the financial crisis... and still Slovakia managed to send a team to the KHL the last 2 seasons. I should also mention that it is especially in times of crises that people seek diversion, in the world of sports, from the unhappy state of economy and politics. When everything is moving along smoothly, people are hardly likely to welcome any change to the status quo. But when things go bad, as they have in Slovakia in recent years, teams are pressed to look for new and better solutions, as Slovan did.
When it comes to the state of the Slovakian and Finnish league, the difference couldn't be more different. Medvedev pretty much said Jokerit being the only existing team possible to join (due to having the biggest arena in Finland)but Jokerit have only recently started to look like a professional organization, basically since Jarmo Kekäläinen was hired as the GM. There's still plenty of untapped potential in Finland for Jokerit to achieve financially in addition to fulfilling the hockey ambitions. The fan sectio nat Hartwall Areena is growing almost every year, there's going to be 1350 fans travelling to Turku next Saturday for the TPS game, the largest fan trip ever in Finland. Those fans want to see their team play and succeed in SM-liiga, not bolt to KHL.