Thread: WJC: Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.
View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think the U.S. can compete for a medal. Tough pool though. We'll see how much the emphasis on skating and grit pays off. The skill level is there, but I wonder how the likes of Galchenyuk will fare in what will likely be a hostile environment (of particular note in his case). To me, they are going to have to physically dictate the games. I think they can do that with every team-including Canada. I mean, does anyone really want to face the likes of Matteau, Biggs, and Hartman?
Do you think the Russians will jeer Galchenyuk? Being fluent in Russian and his heritage would make me think he will be the media darling from the US team in Ufa. When he does well, the Russians will all say, "of course he's the best on USA since he has Russian bloodlines". He's a former teammate and friend of Russia's star player. He'd have a higher chance of being booed if the tournament was in Canada, since we take it too seriously sometimes and seem to like to jeer our neighbors. I still remember the death stares J. Johnson and Wheeler gave to four Surrey loudmouths sitting behind the penalty box when they played Finland in Vancouver. Wish I took a picture.

While those three are intimidating, I don't think Canada is too worried. Canada will have no one under 5'11" on the team and most have fair size. Wilson Jenner Ritchie is actually a bigger line. The 3 you mentioned will be a big presence though. I'd be worried about some of the very small players USA has. Two of your D are 168 pounds and Grimaldi and Gaudreau are among the smallest players in the tournament. 150 sounds so small in this tournament. I'm glad these guys have been playing against college players or I would be really scared for them.