View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Novacain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
The hole you want filled is much less than what Despres would bring to your blueline. A deal based on Despres and Schwartz is fair value, but it seems there would be easier ways for you guys to fill that need than to trade Schwartz.

I'm very high on Schwartz (maybe more so than some STL fans) so I was sort of taken by surprise when Despres' name came up over Morrow's.
I think we were a lot more hesitant to the idea of dealing Jaden is currently in play has a large part to do with the rise of Dmitri Jaskin in our prospect rankings. Jaskin is starting to look like a 4th high level winger prospect for the Blues. And most Blues fans seem to be of the mindset of trading from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. With Tarasenko already coming over whenever we start playing again, and our glut of NHL wingers already here, Schwartz becomes the target that makes the most sense to deal: He's ready to go now, and he already has more market value then the other two potential options, enough to actually find the guy that could be the answer to our "Long Term Partner for Petro" goal without doing anything to hurt the group we are putting on the ice right now.

It would open up a slight hole in "long term replacement for McDonald on the Wing", but I personally feel that's a problem that doesn't become anything for a few years.

It's also clear to me that if Phoenix wouldn't be interested in the Gormley deal, the more I look into it, the more Despers would become the next logical target in terms of prospect for prospect trades. While the teams short term goals are too close to make a "prospect for proven player" trade, our needs in prospects, short and long, line up perfectly.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote