View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Pool A will not be a cakewalk for Sweden. The core from last year is gone. Forsberg and Collberg may be returning players, but they were 17 last year. If they are counting on 2013 Lindholm and 2014 Nylander to produce, it will be tough for this young squad in a 19 year old tournament, especially losing two of their best D in Klefbom and Brodin, not to mention no Zibanejad. Finland and Czech are icing more competive teams than they have put forth recently. I could see a three way race for that pool.

I don't think the top 3 teams from Pool B will all make the semis, as most are predicting. Again, I think the 3 teams in the other pool are all equally competitive. They will surprise one of the two quarter finalists from Pool B.

Russia and Canada look to be the deepest and best teams this year. I see everyone else battling for bronze. Sweden, USA, Finland and Czechs are more evenly matched than we have seen in the last few years. Really nice to see both the the Finns and Czechs coming back up from third tier in the WJC. I can see one of those two capturing Bronze, depending on which team gels over the tournament.
Nylander is not even there and the forward depth is greater than ever. Lindholm is the best center we have iced in years in this tournament, even as an 18-year old. I do agree with pool A being more competitive than it looks like, the Finns have a really strong team and so does the Czechs, the Swiss and even the Latvians.

Anyway, we have a pretty good record against most of the top teams:

6 of the last 7 games in the WJC have been wins against the Russians.
Last two games have been wins against the Canadiens
21 straight wins against the Finns
No loss in the preliminary round since 2007.

I'm mainly scared of USA, we seem to have big trouble against them.

Last edited by Huffman: 12-06-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote