Thread: Confirmed with Link: Andrei Markov signs for Vityaz Chekhov (KHL)
View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 05:24 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
That stat exaggerates the impact, due to various coincidental circumstance.

He played 77, 82, and 78 games in 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2008-09. He then played 45, 7, and 13 games in the following 3 seasons. The stat is basically probing different eras of HABdom.

I find that a lot of hockey stats that TV analysts trot out are complete nonsense. They are correct numbers, but usually are due to pure chance, or are misinterpreted.
The problem with the 7 and 13 game seasons is the fact that in 2010-11 with the emergence of Subban and the acquisition of Wiz we were prepared to weather the loss of Markov. This past season we contended with the loss of Hamrlik, Markov and then subsequently Gill and Spacek which for all their faults were adequate defensively.

Markov was probably the single most important player on our team from 06-10. We still lack proven defensive depth so he is probably still one of our most important players.

I agree with you that the stats don't paint the whole picture, but it still gives us a greater understanding of just how good Markov was. Had it been Craig Rivet missing that time, the results would've been a bit different I'm sure.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote