View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
The coach also in his press conference said this forward group is more skilled than before. Many of the bigger names are virtually unknown in NA, like Friberg was last year. Viktor Arvidsson might just be the most dangerous forward on this team, especially on big ice, undrafted because of his size. Görtz is having a better season than 2/3 of our top line had last year, he is expected to play on the third line. The two top centers (Karlsson and Lindholm) are as good, or better, than our top center (Larsson) last year. The third line center is returning to that position this year. Forsberg and Collberg were good last year, they are both having way better seasons this year. Wennberg is having a breakthrough season and is the second highest scorer on this team. The average age is 18.52 years, thats exactly how old our team was last year and it's not that young really.

The strength of our forward group is the strength of this team. The D strength is okay, similar to last year, perhaps missing a really good defensive D. There are also questions regarding who will be the leader on this team. The goalies are also decent but there is no clear starting goalie like in the last few years.

The lack of Zibanejad does not hurt this team that much, there is already a lot of firepower. Losing Klefbom and Brodin is a lot worse but we always have our best guys out. Last year it was Landeskog and Larsson. The year before it was Paajarvi, OEL, Josefson. Hedman and Erik Karlsson the year before that. All of these teams have still been very competitive and beaten the best.
Sweden is probably a more heavily scouted nation than any other country outside North America. I would guess that they likely provide the third highest number of draftees per nation now after Canada and USA. If there is as much undrafted or poorly evaluated draft picks as you suggest, teams like Detroit and Vancouver might want to reevaluate their Swedish scouts

Maybe you have an outstanding crop of late bloomers and the NHL scouts have got it wrong the past couple of drafts, but it seems a tad far fetched. It's not like Sweden is similar to Russia in that the players want to stay and develop with their club teams and get paid lucratively in the KHL. There shouldn't be many mystery players showing up on the international radar from Sweden.

Also, I don't know how serious I can take comments from Ronnberg. He says a lot of stupid things in the media.

I do hope you are right though and that Sweden has a really strong group of forwards. It will make the tournament all that much better to have as many great teams as possible.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote