View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
mschmidt64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But they ARE restricting cash payout by lowering the cap/reducing the pool of HRR.
But that's already been basically agreed to. The 50-50 split has been decided more or less.

The contracting issues are what remains, and it doesn't make sense to throw away more money so that future Rick DiPietros can get long term contracts.

Quote:
So you've got less money for the players to earn as a whole, and less security for players in their individual deals.

Even if the money stayed the same, contract lengths being shortened affects EVERYONE.
I don't agree.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me that what you are implying is that since top players used to get 10 year deals, and average players would get 4-5 year deals, and bottom players got 1-2 year deals...

... that since we are shortening the max deal to 5 years, that means average players will get 3 year deals and bottom players will get 1 year deals, and that will be the "trickle down effect" you are talking about.

I don't agree with that. I think the top players will get the 5 year deals and the average won't suffer shorter length deals at all, on average.

Quote:
And the point you tried to make in the post I quoted was that somehow the proposal only affects 20 or so players, which is patently false.
The players who currently get over 5 year deals are the vast minority.

Unless you believe that a trickle-down effect will occur on contract lengths for everyone, and I don't, there's really no effect for most of the players.

Guys like Del Zotto or whoever were only gonna get like 4-5 year deals anyway. All this does is bump the Brad Richards types into the 5 year range too.