Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Faterson

vCash: 500
You know, many things that were "fantasy" some time ago are reality today. I don't only mean Slovan's participation in the KHL, which 10 years ago everyone would have said was an insane idea, never possible in 100 years.

I also mean, for example, that a Russian hockey league can now offer salaries competitive with (or even surpassing) those in the NHL. If you said 20 years ago that this would one day be real, they would call the ambulance for you. I distinctly remember how in the early 1990s, the Russian leagues -- both hockey and football -- were considered a joke by most Europeans. It was unthinkable, back then, for a Slovak hockey player to go play for a Russian team, because it would be considered laughable and disgraceful. Despite its monumental size, the Soviet Union always had the image of a poor country, salary-wise, in the former Czechoslovakia.

Somehow, in the course of the 1990s, all of this got reversed and going to play for a Russian club, instead of being disgraceful, became both prestigious and profitable.

And so, I have no specific answers to your questions right now. I'm only saying that what seems utter fantasy today, may well become reality 20 years from now. There is no reason to suppose that, for example, the economy in 2032 will be the same as in 2012. Just compare 1992 and 2012 -- the changes are staggering.