Old
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
But that's already been basically agreed to. The 50-50 split has been decided more or less.

The contracting issues are what remains, and it doesn't make sense to throw away more money so that future Rick DiPietros can get long term contracts.
I understand it has been agreed to. But both sides have to look at it as an entire package--and for the NHLPA, having agreed already to a 50/50 split makes it much harder to swallow a contract length cap.

Quote:
I don't agree.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me that what you are implying is that since top players used to get 10 year deals, and average players would get 4-5 year deals, and bottom players got 1-2 year deals...

... that since we are shortening the max deal to 5 years, that means average players will get 3 year deals and bottom players will get 1 year deals, and that will be the "trickle down effect" you are talking about.

I don't agree with that. I think the top players will get the 5 year deals and the average won't suffer shorter length deals at all, on average.
I think they will. Every contract that's signed is in some way relative to past contracts that are signed. What you wrote is indeed what I'm suggesting. Top players will get five year deals. Lesser players are going to have to have to settle for less--GMs will take the approach that, "Player X is great and he got five years, there's no way we're giving you the same." Some lesser players may see longer-term deals still but on average you'll see less and less.

It's just my opinion though, so we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
The players who currently get over 5 year deals are the vast minority.

Unless you believe that a trickle-down effect will occur on contract lengths for everyone, and I don't, there's really no effect for most of the players.

Guys like Del Zotto or whoever were only gonna get like 4-5 year deals anyway. All this does is bump the Brad Richards types into the 5 year range too.
Yep that's what I believe.

It's just pain.