View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
youngblood10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I feel bad for DeKort he's not playing as much as he should. He gets the short end of the stick usually by having to play the 2nd game in back to backs or 3rd game in 4 nights when the team is fatigued. I wonder if DeKort would be playing more if they had their 2013 1st round pick? Seems like trying to squeak out an extra win here or there so the pick they sacrifice isn't that bad. You look at a team like London who's contending they still have started Patterson 12 games he will probably end up with 20-25 starts. Development for the goalie of the future is being sacrificed for a couple more wins which is disappointing.
I don't know if he isn't playing enough. He's getting the starts that a backup goalie would get. In my experiences watching this league a goalie doesn't usually take over full time until they are 19, 18. (The odd phenom comes in right away but generally speaking.) I think Dekort has great potential but he isn't ready yet for prime time. With the London example if they had a veteran goalie they had faith in Patterson wouldn't be getting those starts. And once they trade for one he might not get another start knowing the Hunters. If Dekort was in London when the shootout starts he's be back on the bench. That's what they do and have done this year, they play to win at all times and are not worried about hurt feelings.

Edit: Just to add on I know your not saying he should start every game, my point is he's filling the backup role and doing a great job in how he's being used.