View Single Post
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Weber's deal doesn't exist without the massive signing bonuses and variance of $1-14 million years. Or it does but it doesn't have the poison pill of $56 million over the first four years, which is precisely what makes it a huge hinderance financially for the Nashvilles of the world.

I would like to see real numbers on insurance costs to know whether its a real concern or a red herring. Especially since it only affects a small percentage of contracts.
It affects everyone, as it applies to the top 5 contracts on every team, and only covers the first 5 years of said contracts. Meaning that every contract longer than 5 years is not insured, and all the risk is on the owners dime. It was Crosby that said that when he looked into insurance to play overseas it was around $400,000 a month [source]. Now his is obviously higher due to the value (100m) and his concussion history. But I don't think the issue is just the insurance costs, but the fact that it's only 5 years that's covered by insurance, while the entire contract is guaranteed... meaning the owners are on the hook for the rest.

I've been looking for trouble... but trouble hasn't been cooperating!

Last edited by Riptide: 12-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.