View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
What's new here? The Players and owners have agreed on a revenue split and everything concerning real dollars but they want different HHR regulations including 10 yrs before UFA, 5 year entry level contracts, etc.
At this point, it's basically a matter of the league "paying" the PA for every step they take closer to a true 50/50 split. There are a couple of key concessions that both sides seem unwilling to make, such as contract limits. Right now it's a question of each side squeezing the other as hard as they can without stopping talks completely, looking for that one last win. Thus the tension, the attitude of a guy like Jacobs to just shut it down, and the sense that things are literally proceeding one line-item at a time.

I do think it's going to happen, because both sides are going to suffer mutinies if things fall through. The leadership on both sides is surely aware of this and will stop the squeezing if disaster comes too close. But for the time being there is just a completely overblown sense of tension and combativeness over issues that seem to have been almost-settled for a long time now.

I'd hate to go through a process like this and be expected to go back to work and have a cordial relationship with my employer, and likewise I'd hate to be an employer expected to show support and loyalty to my employees after this. There really has to be a better way to bargain these deals other than this scorched-earth approach.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote