Old
12-06-2012, 02:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
The baseball model might be profitable..... if you are willing to let about half of the NHL's franchises be the Minnesota Twins where they have no shot of ever winning anything.

I'll take the NFL or NBA's model.
No shot of ever winning anything? Is that different in the NFL? It sure as hell isn't in the NBA, which is constantly dominated by the same handful of teams. Let's see how many different teams have won titles in the past 20 years:

NFL: 13
MLB: 11
NBA: 8
NHL: 13

???

Seems like with the exception of the NBA, each league is pretty competitively balanced.

EDIT: As I fear that I'm taking us off track, I'll bring it back to my initial point--contract length limits are unnecessary, especially with a small yearly deviance cap. I'm not advocating for the baseball model, simply illustrating that a lack of contract length limits hasn't been detrimental to the competitive balance of that sport. The "broken" system in the NHL has been just as successful as any other system when it comes to allowing numerous teams to succeed. Capping contract lengths won't suddenly make poor teams profitable, and it won't make them more competitive.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 12-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.