View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
This is something I've thought about - as much as I favour the use of public money to help fund arenas, I wouldn't begrudge any politician that points to these work stoppages (and the media posturing that goes on instead of actual negotiating) as a damn good reason not to put out any money.
That's a good reason too... I was referring to Swarez99's point that most people have a relatively fixed amount of money to spend on entertainment. Building an arena and getting a pro sports team pushes that entertainment money in a certain direction. NOT building the arena and instead building a park, or funding libraries, or simply reducing taxes... those things just push entertainment dollars in a different direction. The arena doesn't create very much value -- though in fairness it does create a little -- it mostly just shifts entertainment dollars from one place to another.

Owners love to act like arenas profit the public in the big picture. That's not entirely true, especially at their current price tags. The real "profit" is simply at a cultural level of having a new thing to be interested in.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote