View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
That would be great. It would definitely get some offense going off the back-end. But him being a right hand shot and offensive minded, he makes Spurgeon or Dumba expendable. I don't think we'd want 3 right handed shots on D with a somewhat similar skillset.

Personally, I'm really high on the Russians right now. Nikita Zadorov would be a shut-down defender that no one wants to mess with and Valeri Nichushkin (I'll give Generic User credit for turning me onto this one) is a natural goal-scorer, something we need.
If we get a right handed D in the first, I'd rather it be a guy with size at least comparable to Ristolainen's. I haven't had a chance to see him play, so I don't know if he uses that size though. I don't think it's fair to group Dumba and Spurgeon into the "similar skillset" sort of bracket though. Spurgeon is very much a finesse type defenseman, and more of a puck mover than a puck rusher. Dumba is much more physical, and more apt to carry the puck than anyone currently in our system. Where we start getting redundant is with Kampfer and Prosser as compared to Spurgeon.

An interesting thing to note is that where left handers are relatively common on either side of a pairing, right handers are almost exclusively found on the right. So far, it seems the team has been positioning Brodin to play on the right. That's what he did most (if not all) of last season in Sweden. With Scandella in Houston that's where Brodin has been as well. Is that a long term projection, and if so, does that mean we're really getting overstocked on the right side of the blue line?