View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
I don't believe rebranding the WHC as EHC would be in the best interest of the IIHF or hockey as a whole. The IIHF needs MORE influence in NA not less. Excluding the Canadian and American Hockey Federations from participating would be devastating for the tournament and would leave the before mentioned hockey federations with nothing but the Olympics in which to garner any international success.
Besides, there is already a euro-centric tournament in Euro Hockey tour.

There is also a risk of alianating the european fans if the IIHF were to move the tournament to a timeslot more favourable to the NHL and there is still no certainty that NHL players would be allowed to participate or that interest in NA would peak. That could leave the tournament with no viewers at all, neather north american or european. It could also mean damaging the prestige and credibility it has with, admitedly, mostly european fans even if they were to change back to the original format of the tournament.

In eather case, there needs to be a WHC for any and all hockey federations in which to participate. Hockey needs to grow and the responsibility falls on the IIHF and the major hockey countries to help make the sport grow.
My experience is that only a small minority have the vision to make changes for the better and almost everyone else clings to the status quo. International hockey as a whole could be so much better than it is now and if it were up to me I would have a system similar to Rugby / Cricket / Soccer. Although I would get rid of or change the World Championships I would add things too, such as replacing league all-star games with int'l friendlies / qualification games.

Sorry to rant, just that it could be so much better but changing things is next to impossible.