View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Well we're talking about a country where they at one time beat Canada (Team NHL) 6-0 in a deciding game in the Challenge Cup in 1979 and 8-1 in the Canada Cup. These were great Canadian teams as well. Also coming within a whisker of beating a prime Gretzky/Lemieux in the 1987 Canada Cup. It is just hard to see that kind of talent coming again. I don't think the 2010 Canadian Olympic team was as good as the 1987 Canada Cup team and they spanked the Russians 7-3 in the Olympic quarterfinals. This was also a pretty good Russian team, I thought, with Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk and Nabokov in net. 31 years without winning a best on best is just a long time and I don't think you can ever underestimate how dominant those earlier Soviet teams were.

Lots of Swedish talent came out in the 1990s though. It is unclear if they can recapture that again.
Ok I can see where you're coming from.

But I also thinking you're vastly underestimating how much Russian hockey has expanded since the Soviet days of have 1-3 Good Teams with Elite players (Red Army, Dinamo Moscow, Spartak).

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote