View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think this is why the 3 year waiting period is important. We'll need to sit back and observe Thomas' career. Let it simmer a bit. If you asked me when the Bruins won the Cup in 2011 if he is a future HHOFer I would have said he was on the right track. But then a Game 7 overtime loss in 2012, nothing more than an above average season in 2012 has made me pause. We'll see how we envision him in later years if he never plays again. Hey, he could win another Vezina. Three would be too much too ignore. Let's wait and see. I don't think Roy is a HHOFer if he retired in 1989 however. But you might be shortchanging Thomas a bit. He was spectacular in 2010-'11. Could have easily won the Hart trophy. Was so much more important than any other Bruin in the 2011 playoffs that it wasn't even funny. He won with very acrobatic goaltending that I wish we would see more, so I've never bought this whole "he was on a good defense" theory.
See, I disagree with this. Thomas was a worthy Smythe winner, but I wouldn't have batted an eye if Chara or Krejci took home the trophy either. I don't think Thomas locked up the trophy until he pitched a shutout in Game 7. He had his great moments, but also some pretty forgettable ones throughout the spring as well. This wasn't exactly the Roy '93/Giguere '03 legendary type of run that it has come to be remembered as.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote