View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
"The PCHA was a lesser league" is a blanket/overall assertion I made based on more than just a peculiar 3 year window, and with more than just one team in mind. I'll freely recognize that there was one team in the PCHA in any given window that proved competitive with the NHA - specifically, perhaps, the 1915-17 window (the war effect on these leagues having been explored already). I'll also point out that the "overall" strength of the league is being extrapolated from the success of that team by all of us who never actually had the chance to give either the "eye test". And while I also recognize how the league tables must suggest competitiveness across all 3 PCHA teams at any time, I call into scrutiny the same detail C1958 mentioned regarding how remaining regular season games were treated once the table was "decided".

Since the WCHL is obviously part of the picture, I'll also point out that PCHA games against the WCHL counted in the standings for the last couple of seasons the PCHA existed, which resulted in the Metropolitains leading the league with a losing record, suggesting the WCHL may, indeed, have been a "stronger" league. And remember, Chicago and Detroit didn't exactly prove super competitive in the early days of being added to the NHL fold, despite being strong in the WCHL. So, there's my rationale in a nutshell, I suppose.
Who was the one team? Seattle or Vancouver? Do the Rosebuds taking the Canadiens to 5 games in 1916 not count?

From 1918-1922 the Stanley Cup required 5/5 games to decide a winner, except '19 when it was canceled at 2-2.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote