View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Legend or another can probably provide better detail. The westside was the original objective, but Glendale was the only jurisdiction that stepped up. Had it not been for CoG the Coyotes would have relocated over 10 years ago. CoG reached an agreement with Ellman in less than a month if I recall correctly. Great decision making...

With the arena already built it's unfortunate that CoG couldn't get other Valley municipalities to help with the burden of the "management fee". The benefits of all of these investments have accrued to the other municipalities. Hell, I think CoG even lost money on the Superbowl!
Glendale had the most vacant land available along the Loop 101 corridor at the time. However I think redeveloping Los Arcos in Scottsdale was originally Ellman's primary objective. The city went through two elections seeking voter approval for the project, which they got. But, unlike Glendale, the Scottsdale city council wanted to know more about Ellman's financial stability and when they didn't get it, they refused to sign off on the project.

You are correct that if Glendale hadn't stepped up, Ellman was ready to unload the franchise to Paul Allen and Portland (OR).

Regarding the Super Bowl.... they did lose money overall on the first one because of the up front spending they had to make upgrading their police department to provide security for the event. That and restaurant/hotel development near the stadium was late getting started.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote