View Single Post
Old
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Zodiac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Hey, if you aren't going to sell your 460's you could set one up as a Physx card.
ya i'll probably try that out just to see how much of a difference it'll make ...but since the 680 is so powerful it might not be worth it.

example ...when i first got the 460, i actually tried my old 8800GT in there as a dedicated physx card with some less than stellar results. in short, the 460 was faster doing the physx on its own rather than being held back by the slower 8800GT. i was kinda surprised, but yeah ...the benchmarks were a bit lower with the 8800 in there.

at the time, i remember reading an nvidia faq on physx and it stated that in order for a gpu to be a 'proper' physx card, that it should have a certain amount of cuda cores ...something like 40% of the cores of your primary card in order to keep up with it. (i can't remember the exact amount but i think it was around there). so when talking 'cuda cores', a gtx680 has 1536 and a gtx460 has 336 ...so that makes me wonder if the 460 might be too slow. we'll see i guess.

i'll try it out anyway and see how the results end up in some benches.