Old
12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
What are the players doing then?
Same thing as you say the owners are doing except worse since they either propose de-linkage and continue to work off of it or work off of NHL proposals after they get something they like and find a new issue that is a sticking point, yet it was never mentioned previously ("moving the goal posts" as the media calls it).
Oh you mean like the owners all of the sudden deciding yesterday that they wanted a 10 year CBA with the "opt out" option for themselves after 8 years...as opposed to the 5 year deal that had been discussed previous (and both sides essentially agreed on).

I'm tired and don't feel like doing to research to list all the things the players have conceded on but if you believe the owners have given more than they've taken, then I guess there's really no point in discussing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Bob McKenzie said that players he talked to wanted the 10 year deal because of the security.
The proposed contract limit (NHL proposed five years for free agents, seven years for your own player and the PA proposed eight) doesn't even matter to the majority of the union.
The NHL offered the amount of money that the PA named as the deal breaker months ago and dropped other contracting rights requests that actually mattered to the common player like arbitration rights and free agency age, yet they still find a problem with it.

It's not that ridiculous to think that the majority of the union was ready to get back at it because they got what they wanted.
Forgive me if I don't thank the owners for deciding to just take less. This isn't "giving back" or "giving in" as you like to phrase it. It's simply keeping things the way they were (or on topic of the money issue, taking less money than they had demanded off the bat, but still much more than previously) and focus their hardlining on other topics. It's not "giving" the players anything.

EDIT: And as far as that quote, not it's not that out there. It probably is true, there probably is some level of cracking within the NHLPA. I can't imagine that guys like Matt Ellis, Pat Kaleta, or Cody McCormick (just to name a few Sabres) are terribly thrilled with the current situation. Guys like Crosby, Richards, and Miller (the "face" guys) can afford it, 4th liners or tweeners may not be able to afford to lose a year of their career like this.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote