View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Let me add this. The average player makes about $5 million after-tax profits in his NHL career. It was significantly less when they first got locked out in 1994 when the average lifetime NHL earnings for a player was about $1.5M after taxes. This was enough to live decently while in the NHL and to buy and furnish a house, but then players had to go look for middle class jobs, usually coaching some junior team. Even today, many players like Eminger and Haley make only $1-$2 in lifetime post-tax salary.

But $5M in lifetime salary isn't that much either. A player needs to get a job post-hockey and live only a slightly higher than middle class lifestyle. They can have fun in their 20s, buy a nice house, and still have a couple of million in the bank when they retire. But a couple of million doesn't take you far when you have to survive another half a century, especially with annual inflation.

The players, other than the stars, are merely trying to make sure they set themselves up for a decent lifestyle post-hockey. No yachts, no private jets. Sure they can afford more than a Honda, but the average NHLer can't afford a Bentley, unless he's financially reckless. So yeah, at the age of 40, he has a 5-bedroom home instead of a 3-bedroom that his friends have, he drives a BMW instead of a Honday, eats at Ruth's Chris instead of a diner. But nothing special. It's essentially the same lifestyle as everyone else, but slightly nicer.

And if you are a low-end player, you probably have little to no savings at the end of your career, save maybe for a house if they are good at not wasting money.

Meanwhile, the owners are flying everywhere on private jets that cost tens of thousands of dollars in fuel and staff per flight. They wouldn't eat at Ruth's Chris if you held a gun to their head. They don't know what a supermarket looks inside unless they own one. Cry me a river about your losses!

If you don't like owning a hockey team and think you are losing money, then give it to me. How can a business that allegedly loses money every year somehow increase in value? Who are they kidding?

Am I supposed to believe that that Eminger and Haley are worse off financially than the owners? I don't begrudge people making money. That's the American Way. That's why the U.S. is so successful - we get compensated for getting educated, working hard, investing, inventing. But why do I have to hear whining about poverty coming inside a private jet?

Last edited by Beacon: 12-07-2012 at 12:26 AM.