Thread: Proposal: Washington-Boston
View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 03:36 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
If I recall correctly, Holtby was great the first few games but came down to earth later in the series. I don't think it was Holtby outplaying Thomas as much as it was Washington's bottom 6 outplaying the Boston group. Ironic since so much credit to the prior season was given to the Boston bottom 6.
I will have to disagree with you, I think Thomas was a bit off of his best, maybe even more than a bit, He let in some goals that he usually wouldn't have and in a short series, Thomas not playing his best and Holtby playing at his best really was the biggest part of the Caps win.

There were very few Boston forwards who I thought had even a decent series, none of them with the exception of a few, looked like they were as hungry as Washington. They actually looked tired to me, and the most tired looking player on the team was Thomas.

While I agree that especially the Caps 4th line was better than the Bruins 4th line, they also have a lot less impact on the game than any other players on the team. One more goal from Lucic and marchand probably means the Bruins win that series, if Bergeron wasn't injured the Bruins probably win that series, if Thomas makes even one more save that he usually would have made the Bruins probably win that series.

I have heard other people blame the Boston 3th line for the loss, but the fact is that if the rest of the Bruins forwards played up to par, the goals scored against the 4th line are irrelevant.

Holtby was nothing if not a steady goaltender that his team knew they could count on and at some points he was just downright brilliant, Thomas on the other hand let in a weak goal or two just about every game. Goaltending won that series, no doubt in my mind.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote