View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The players benefit from the things the owners dropped. Why on earth would the owners give the players even more things to inflate their salaries. Arbitration means players have ways to artificially inflate their salaries. In some cases massively. Its an incredibly pro player system.

I'm amazed anyone thinks the players are being "screwed" in any way shape or form. Had they accepted the owners system they would still be making a ton of money, and unlike their play, its guaranteed. They would have only one meaningful restriction to their contracts and that would be the 5 years limit (7 for re-signing your own RFAs/UFAs). Something that impacts a very small percentage of players.

Folks we're not talking about poor coal miners fighting for health care and a living wage against the evil mine owner. We are talking about players that even at the bottom of the pay scale are millionaires. Matt Ellis has 1.9mil in career earnings. I don't begrudge him a penny of it. But lets not pretend these players are being put upon and are fighting the good fight as a union. I don't know too many union workers in the real world that can take several months off and not get paid so they can have a pissing match with their employer.
I'm aware the players benefit from the things the players dropped. But the owners aren't giving players even more things to inflate their salaries, they're just leaving it the way it was drawn up last time in certain areas while taking away in many other areas. The major areas the players have given in, which they said they were ok with..just not to the extent owners expected them to.

I don't think the players are getting "screwed", I just don't buy into the rationale that players should just shut up and be happy making money. There are contractual rights being broken, why should they sit on their hands and do nothing?

In regards to the last line there, it's not the union workers taking months off to get in a pissing match with their employer. Their employer locked them out and said if you don't take a pay cut you can't work here. Most people in the real world have the option to go elsewhere for work, NHL players don't necessarily have that option. The comparison you make does not fit this situation, in my opinion.

I avoided this thread for a long, long time. I hate talking about this crap, I just want to see the NHL back. NCAA and AHL can only sustain me for so long.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote