View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
aceface33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I'm aware the players benefit from the things the players dropped. But the owners aren't giving players even more things to inflate their salaries, they're just leaving it the way it was drawn up last time in certain areas while taking away in many other areas. The major areas the players have given in, which they said they were ok with..just not to the extent owners expected them to.

I don't think the players are getting "screwed", I just don't buy into the rationale that players should just shut up and be happy making money. There are contractual rights being broken, why should they sit on their hands and do nothing?

In regards to the last line there, it's not the union workers taking months off to get in a pissing match with their employer. Their employer locked them out and said if you don't take a pay cut you can't work here. Most people in the real world have the option to go elsewhere for work, NHL players don't necessarily have that option. The comparison you make does not fit this situation, in my opinion.

I avoided this thread for a long, long time. I hate talking about this crap, I just want to see the NHL back. NCAA and AHL can only sustain me for so long.
How are contractual rights being broken? The contracts signed the last 7 years were governed by the last CBA which is no longer in effect.

What it comes down to now with Make Whole is a gradual decline to a 50/50 split and contract limits set at 5 years. I can't think of any other appreciable difference between the owner's last proposal and the previous CBA. The players admitted that there are many teams not healthy and agreed to 50/50. 5 year contract limits are bad for the star players but would free up more money under the cap for the rank and file. I can't fathom why the players would not take that deal.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote