View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
  #383
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
It seems that Fehr reminded the players exactly what the cap manoeuvres will mean. Players receiving the big contracts will eat up such a large per centage of the cap that the rest of the team will suffer. For example--if you have 3 players making the maximum % of the cap hit that a player is allowed--that means 60% of the cap is gone--leaving a 23 player payroll with only 40% of the 60 million cap left to pay 20 players. If Weber etc. salary are to be paid over 5 years for example to a max cap hit then the 20 remaining players are splitting only 24 million. Fehr wants to push the cap further along so that there is more money for the "lesser" players without infringing on the big guys bonanzas. It means the owners will always be on the hook for players not playing for them and adding debt for future years which the league is trying to prevent. The league offered 300 million including one hundred of new money this week to try to make this palatable to the players. Fehr said "ok..we will take the money but we will not move on contract length or making all the salary to be part of cap over 5 years for new team and 7 years for team retaining a player." That is what got the owners and Bettman so ticked....

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote