View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:04 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
It's not really a question about how much "the owners are expected to concede" before the players sign ('cause they haven't conceded anything (from the baseline of the expired CBA) and they aren't gonna; the ultimate outcome of this will be all gain for the League).

The question you're really asking is how much are the players willing to give up in earnings in defense of some percentage (in dollars and rights) of what they had before? I don't know how much pain the PA will tolerate. I think they have taken more than anyone expected they would, and that may be frustrating the owners.

The League's reaction to yesterday's developments (the PA countering a "take-it-or-leave-it" offer) suggests to me that it's important that whatever offer is ultimately accepted has to be a League offer, and not a PA offer.
This is not a case of trying to take money out of the players' pockets; it's a case of trying to limit how much money is put into the players's pockets, to the extent that fewer owners will have lower economic losses. That's raw economic reality here. And it's an economic reality which ultimately serves the players as well, because the more economically healthy teams there are, the better the potential of maintaining a 30-team League in order to employ the number of players that the NHL currently employs.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote