View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
I'm sure Ted Lindsay and Doug Harvey would be proud that they are fighting the good fight. Things have changed a lot, this isn't even the Alan Eagleson era. If I am a player I would be asking myself is it worth me losing millions of dollars so a kid can sign a 7 year contract which varies by 75% from year one to year 7 instead of a 5 year one with little variation. Is it worth me losing millions so I can do this again in 8 years rather than 10. The pendulum has swung in the last 30 years to the point where these sacrifices aren't needed.
There's more to this than that. It's also about creating a lasting agreement.

The NHL clearly won the last CBA. They got exactly what they wanted. Yet here they come again, next CBA, demanding even more. They have clearly shown their position. They'll take, take, take and take some more. If the NHLPA caves here, with the noblest of intentions being to preserve a season and to accept the NHL's offer in-good-faith, the NHL will just come around again the next time and demand even more.

This is not just some arbitrary display of showmanship. The NHL has to be shown that the rights of players will not be infringed upon with impunity.

The NHL is trying to make the fans think that the NHLPA's stance is confrontational and unfriendly, yet it is the opposite that is true.