View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Tommy Anderson won the Hart as well and isn't in. There are a couple other than Lindros but it is few and far between. St. Louis is another player that some might think shouldn't get in and if they never play hockey again he'll be an interesting case. Honestly, the guy is going to be 38 in 2013, this lockout like the last one could be what keeps him from getting in.

But anyway, I think it is a mixed bag when it comes to the HHOF standards. I don't think anyone has an issue with Ron Francis in there. He gets in because of his longevity coupled with the Cups and some play that was pretty good in the 1990s, not to mention career numbers and playing for over 20 years.

Look, I think both cases are good. If a guy like Francis, or even Mike Gartner, can play in the best league in the world and maintain a level of play for that long then it says something about them. That's difficult especially with the aging process and the normal drop in play in your 30s. But to be a superstar for as long as Ovechkin was is pretty special as well. He had a 65 goal season, he was very much the face of the NHL alongside Crosby for a long time and he scored those goals with such dominance as well almost being unstoppable at times. Ovechkin arguably has the best season post lockout of anybody in 2008. The impact he has made on the NHL is worth an induction.

As for Thomas if he never plays again he'll have a career that'll grate on us for a while. I mean, a late bloomer, two Vezinas, the season in between he loses his starting job and then a Cup and a Conn Smythe performance that was amazing. He has played only 7 seasons and is already 38. He only has 196 wins. His performance was not a fluke because he was still pretty good last year. Even just 2-3 years more of padding his stats would get him in on a Bernie Parent type of induction (questionable longevity but gaudy play in his prime). I don't know, goalies are judged harshly. There are goalies with a better career than him not in right now.
Does his international career (I guess you can call playing in Europe that) help his cause? He did win several SM-Liiga awards in 97-98, including Best Goaltender, Best Player Of The Regular Season, and the Kanada-malja, which is their equivalent of the Vezina, Hart, and Stanley Cup respectively.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote