View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The major problem is that every issue is seemingly dealt with in a vacuum and is absolute.

There doesnt seem to be any "OK, we offered 300M for make-whole, if you want to move the contract limits up to 8 years, that means $50M is coming out of the make-whole fund"

Instead its "OK, make-whole is done - next step contract term limits. What? you want 8 years instead of 5? Well, that make-whole thing is completely off the table now"

The scary thing is Bettman wasnt even the room, but his negotiating tactics, if you can even call them that, seems to have permeated throughout.
I hear you, but wasn't make whole a compromise for 50/50? The players are getting nothing for the rest, the new compromise is make contracts 8 years. I mean, a week ago there was no agreement on contract controls. Yesterday players accepted the concept of variance and term. They asked for 8 years instead of 5, 25% variance instead of 5%. That is compromise. The league could have countered.

I just don't see it as a vacuum. Certainly not from the player side.

Outside of make whole, league concessions are hotel rooms, a player funded pension, increased revenue sharing, and a new cap floor calculator (with the league buggered).