View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
There's a huge grey area when it comes to the NHL/KHL contract responses. We have no official transfer agreement and different contractual rules.

I know for a fact the Avs were forbidden from signing Denis Parshin despite his KHL contract being up, because KHL rules retained him as a RFA and automatically gave him a contract upon a submitted qualifying offer.

Meanwhile with Hudler, because Detroit did not wish to sign the Arbitration contract he was awarded, he was subsequently freed up from his RFA obligations within the NHL and permitted to sign in the KHL. Were he traded/signed his KHL contract would have become void.

So the real legal holdup from what I understand is that the lockout came into effect and prevented the Avs from signing O'Reilly. Whether that would, if it came to arguing over his return, prevent him from coming back to the NHL is the question. He had a previous contract in the NHL, is an RFA in the NHL, his team did not refuse to sign him, therefore I believe his contractual priority would lie in the NHL when Colorado offers him a deal once the lockout ends. If the KHL should argue he is their property, this should in theory nullify any of their prior arguments that their RFAs remain their property as well.

Sounds like a double standard if that road were to be taken.
This is what I've gathered after reading some of Dmitry Chesnokov's interpretations of the NHL-KHL agreements. It was extended until 2013 as well.