View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Why cant the players accept the owners offer if they are so close? The players "want to play" right?

First time i have ever thought that the owners were negotiating in good faith and the players werent. I always thought the owners were just going to beat the players into the ground with a hammer until they got what they wanted. Now it looks like the players are the ones wielding the hammer.
Eh, the owners have no idea what they want. First it was a 5 year CBA then it was 10 years. The NHLPA says "we are in complete agreement on the revenue split and dollar amount for make whole" which is the bright shiny object that always demands Gary Bettman's attention. The revenue split is the big picture reason why the NHL constantly locks the players out. It's always due to terrible franchises losing money. So hurrah, with a 50/50 split you'll possibly lose less money than you did last CBA! This could have easily been accomplished by lowering the cap floor and without missing a single NHL game.

While I don't see this deal being the magic elixir that makes terrible franchises magically profitable, I do not understand why the NHL owners need to freak out about rich owners who make tens of millions of dollars a year in pure profit and as a result spend up to the cap on their teams. Once again, a hard cap was designed to reign those teams in. Guess what? They are still making tens of millions of dollars a year in pure profit. And that's only going to continue to drive the salary cap up. And that money will be spent up to the absolute limit by the teams that have more money than they know what to do with.

Economics 101.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote