View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 01:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I remember reading that in the pre-WWII era, most teams didn't dress backup goalies and didn't take a spare on the road. More than once a goalie was plucked out of the crowd when a goalie went down with an injury. I don't remember the names, but I believe the Habs were playing the Hawks in Chicago one night and the Habs goalie went down with an injury and the only other goalie in the rink that night was property of the Rangers. So hastily, the Habs had to contact the Rangers to get permission to "borrow" the goalie for the night. I might have the Rangers and Hawks wrong but it was definitely a Habs road game (my Dad is a big Habs fan and I read it in one of his Habs books). If I remember the story right, after this incident the NHL made it a rule that borrowing players like this was illegal and the Habs would have been forced to find a goalie who wasn't property of another team or dress one of their skaters in net.
This is similar to how Harry Lumley got his start. Lumley was the backup for the Red Wings when the Rangers lost the only goalie they had brought with them, and the Wings agreed to let him be the replacement against his own team.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote