View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I personally find Bourque more suited for a 5th winger role in MTL, specially if paired with Eller and a guy like Prust/Moen. AK liked to carry the puck, where as Bourque is just a shooter, so this allows to Eller to carry the puck more who is pretty creative and a good puck handler.

Again I could see how many would rather keep AK instead of Bourque, but to me at least Bourque can be put on the pk if he isn't producing, while AK was useless if he wasn't scoring.
PK winger is hardly an area of need for Montreal. Bourque is no great shakes at it, Moen, Prust (now), Darche (last year) and Gionta are all better at it.

And while Kostitsyn was never a PK player he had fairly decent ES defense once we got deeper into the Martin era. He also has been a fairly decent passer as well as shooter and can play both finesse (13-14-46) or physical (32-81-46) styles and be effective. You could slot him in as a complimentary offensive player on a 1st line or as the leading offensive player on a third line. He also played on both shutdown and pure scoring units and on either wing. Plus his offense is stronger on ES than the powerplay, which is usually what you want from offensive depth players. He could do a lot for you so long as he was deep in your lineup and you weren't counting on him to score every night.

As it was, he consistantly was about league average for a 2nd line winger. When he was the teams 5th best winger (start of 2011-12) rather than the 2nd or 3rd Montreal was sitting pretty in that position.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote