View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Personal opinion - I don't think either of the 3 new candidates are really worth looking at this round.

Giacomin had a great 5 year stretch in the regular season, but it was against fairly weak competition, as Hall and Plante were both aging. Plante had actually retired in 1965, but came out of retirement in 1969 at the age of 40. Hall was 35 in 1967, had become a tandem goalie with Denis DeJordy, and had been deemed expendable by Chicago in the expansion. That's right, the 2nd and 3rd goalies in All Star voting in 1967 were in a tandem for the same team.

Giacomin was regularly horrible in the playoffs during his 5 year regular season peak - and it wasn't like the Rangers were a bad team. After 1971, he was in a tandem situation with Gilles Villemure, who often had better numbers in the regular season. But without the burden of being a full-time goalie in the regular season, Giacomin played much better in the playoffs.

Other than Brodeur who is still active, Vachon is the first North American goalie to become available who isn't in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Regardless as to whether you think he deserves enshrinement or not, he seems like a clear step down from Gump Worsley to me. And I don't think Gump is a shoe-in this round.

1970s goalies are pretty well-represented on our list, and as I think Vachon and Giacomin are a clear step down from the recently added Esposito and Parent, I think they can wait.

Hap Holmes has a fascinating story - the only goalie in history with 4 Cups with 4 different teams. But I think he should probably be ranked at least one step below Lehman, and Lehman hasn't been added yet.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote