View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 02:23 PM
sens83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
Great report, BSF. I always enjoy your focused, in-depth analyses and wish more could follow suit. Wonder how many of the overconfident responders to your informative piece regularly attend the Binghamton games. My estimation would be few to none. In addition to many regular season games each year, I drove down for the Eastern Finals and Calder Cup Finals games in 2011, and can report there weren't many Ottawa Sens jerseys there for the party with the exception of one game where the team sent a bus down, hopefully a few of you took advantage.

It's nice to see Silfverberg adapting well to the N.A. style. He should gain confidence as the season progresses. Will also see whether Da Costa can provide timely offense. Nowhere near being sold on this guy being a legit NHLer. Encouraging starts for Stone and Prince, but we'll see their conditioning come March/April. I thought the Sens made a critical error in simultaneously dropping two of their tough guys and spiritual leaders in the off-season (Carkner, Konopka), but with the emergence of Borowiecki and others, this may not be as problematic as it looked in September.

While evidently the AHL is a physical, grinding league that favors veterans, it is interesting to note the Sens have earned a league-best 12-4-1-1 with a rookie leading scorer averaging just .67 PPG (Silfverberg). Given the .722+ winning percentage, one would expect a handful of guys operating at or near a point per game. Amazingly, the B-Sens don't have a single player in the top 100 in league scoring (granted, they have played 2-4 fewer games than most clubs). Presently there are 19 skaters with between 5-12 points, a pretty impressive distribution of wealth which speaks to their solid two-way concept and Lehner's stellar start. It's all the more impressive when the current month-long winning streak occurs without the services of their top dman from the start of the campaign (Cowen).

I did write to the Sens asking why they failed to bring any games to SBP, as has consistently been the case in recent years. The deliberate lack of B-Sens games in Ottawa is even more perplexing given that Sens management knew the strong likelihood of a lockout months in advance (consider that their summer ticket drive was scaled back and they didn't even bother producing a home/away pocket schedule, which in prior years they distributed throughout the city by August). The Sens blew a great opportunity to further market their young stars and future Senators, as this board suggests there is a healthy appetite in Ottawa for some quality hockey with the NHL on hiatus. With no semi-pro sports outside of a disastrous 7-21-0-3 OHL team, Ottawa has very little to offer the engaged sports fan. Look forward to hitting up more games on the road this winter.
What about the STH in Binghamton? We are paying to watch this team play in Binghamton, not Ottawa.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote