View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Oilers have 4 forwards who should be elite (RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov), with some decent trades/signings for supporting players that should be enough to build an absolutely deadly group of forwards. I prefer that to what the Isles have to offer, where there's a massive drop off after Tavares (Moulson is pretty good, and Strome is a pretty good prospect, but I easily build around all Oilers forwards than all Isles forwards). In net I think the Oilers have the best young-ish talent on either team in Dubnyk. In terms of young-ish d, the Isles might have the edge, but the Oilers getting Schultz narrowed that gap a lot. I think Schultz, Smid, Petry, Klefbom, Marcinin, Musil, etc. is at least reasonably close to Hamonic, Reinhart, MacDonald, Donovan, De Haan, etc. Overall I'm definitely taking the Oilers, mostly because they have way more elite talent.

FWIW, I think the Isles have **** the bed with their drafting since Tavares. In the last 3 drafts they've had the 4th, 5th and 5th overall picks, and they've taken Reinhart, Strome and Nino. Obviously it's very early to say how these guys turn out, but I'm personally not a big fan of these prospects, I think they easily could have done SO much better with 3 straight top 5 picks. In 2010 guys like Skinner, Granlund, Tarasenko, Fowler, Burmistrov etc. would all have been great options at 5th overall, but they went with Nino. In 2011 I don't like the Strome pick when guys like Couturier and Hamilton were right there. In 2012 I'm not a fan of the Reinhart pick either, I think he'll be a decent dman, but I don't see the star upside that's there with someone like Rielly. With smart drafting I might be very seriously considering the Isles over the Oilers, but I just don't love a lot of their top prospects.
I get what you are saying, but all 3 of these guys look promising at the moment. Nino was one of the youngest draftees in 2010, and while he had a terrible NHL season as a 19 year old, he is now a PPG player in the AHL as a 20 year old. I still see a ton of upside with him, especially if they leave Strome at center and use Nino as Tavares' RW.

Strome is easily a top-10 prospect right now. He's the CHL's leading scorer and has improved his overall game as well. He's a complete player. Whether or not he turns into an NHL star is the only question, but aside from RNH, Landeskog and Larsson(none of which the Isles could have picked), no one from that draft class has proven anything. Hard to get on the Isles for this pick, especially when Strome is playing as well as he is right now.

As far as Reinhart goes, the only knock on him to this point are his offensive numbers. Defensively, he's probably been better than the Islanders expected he'd be. He was generally considered one of, if not the best Canadian defenseman in the Subway Series, and will most likely be a part of Canada's WJC team this year(considering how stacked that group is, I'd say that is pretty impressive in its own right). If his offensive game never comes around, it could end up looking like a bad pick. That said, Washington took Karl Alzner 5th overall in '07, and they seem to be very pleased with how he's turned out. Obviously Isles fans would like for a more complete defenseman, but if he ends up being strictly a top-pairing shutdown defender, I'll be fine with it as long as he helps this team contend.

I'm fine with the drafting thus far. It's the lack of signs and trades made to compliment these prospects that bothers me.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote