View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm not worried about him staying in Russia once the lockout ends but I wonder how much money they gave him. He's not good enough or a big enough name to get some ridiculous overpayment but Avs management won't like this if it's significantly more than what they were offering him. Signing in Russia for an amount the Avs weren't willing to give him and forcing them to match to bring him back over probably won't sit well with them. Sherman might feel differently than Lacroix did and he might not hold a grudge but in the past, the Avs wouldn't take too kindly to being bullied by a player. Which is what O'Reilly and his agent are doing if this contract is paying him a lot of money.

But I also can't see a 21 year old Canadian wanting to stay in Russia if the NHL is back so maybe he only took a deal that he knows will be matched for sure.
Bingo. It'll probably between $2.5M-$3M. Fair but something he knows Avs will be able to beat. Just my guess, of course.

As for Sherman and his MO. I can't think of a single player move by him that didn't have one or more of these elements.

* helps fill a team need (Shattenkirk, Quincey, Stewart)
* moving a player with questionable work ethic/compete level (Stewart, Wolski)
* a player that didn't work out here for one reason or another (Galiardi, Anderson)
* a player that was looking for too much money on the next contract (Winnik, Quincey)

I just don't see Avs front office being this group of easily offended guys that decides because a player wants to get paid he can't stay. It might have been so in the past but these days it seems to be all about building a team that plays the right way and there are few players on Avs that fits better for what I think is their vision of Avs hockey than O'Reilly.

Last edited by Freudian: 12-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.