View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Oilers have 4 forwards who should be elite (RNH, Eberle, Hall and Yakupov), with some decent trades/signings for supporting players that should be enough to build an absolutely deadly group of forwards. I prefer that to what the Isles have to offer, where there's a massive drop off after Tavares (Moulson is pretty good, and Strome is a pretty good prospect, but I easily build around all Oilers forwards than all Isles forwards). In net I think the Oilers have the best young-ish talent on either team in Dubnyk. In terms of young-ish d, the Isles might have the edge, but the Oilers getting Schultz narrowed that gap a lot. I think Schultz, Smid, Petry, Klefbom, Marcinin, Musil, etc. is at least reasonably close to Hamonic, Reinhart, MacDonald, Donovan, De Haan, etc. Overall I'm definitely taking the Oilers, mostly because they have way more elite talent.

FWIW, I think the Isles have **** the bed with their drafting since Tavares. In the last 3 drafts they've had the 4th, 5th and 5th overall picks, and they've taken Reinhart, Strome and Nino. Obviously it's very early to say how these guys turn out, but I'm personally not a big fan of these prospects, I think they easily could have done SO much better with 3 straight top 5 picks. In 2010 guys like Skinner, Granlund, Tarasenko, Fowler, Burmistrov etc. would all have been great options at 5th overall, but they went with Nino. In 2011 I don't like the Strome pick when guys like Couturier and Hamilton were right there. In 2012 I'm not a fan of the Reinhart pick either, I think he'll be a decent dman, but I don't see the star upside that's there with someone like Rielly. With smart drafting I might be very seriously considering the Isles over the Oilers, but I just don't love a lot of their top prospects.
It's a good thing the draft is more than 30 picks long...

Also

Strome: Leads the entire CHL in scoring
Nino: Top 10 in AHL scoring (was as high as 3rd I believe just a week ago)
Reinhart has looked very solid if not NHL ready.

Oil have more top end forwards
Isles have more forward depth

Beyond that, I believe the Isles have the better top talent on D, as well as better depth.... though it is close.

Goaltending is arguable.

I'd say it's a tie, dependent on how the current prospects develop.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote