View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik Kristal View Post
I'd rather make a move for Staal:

Here is my rational. Obviously Staal is much better then Sauer if both are healthy. That said, Whenever the lockout ends the cap will be sure to go down. That leaves the Rangers in a really tough position as they will be one of the teams that will have to shed mass amounts of salary. They have Del Zotto, Sauer, McDonagh, Hagelin & Stepan all who will be a RFA after this lost season (Del Zotto already is). They are all deserving of a significant raise in salary. The following year Gaborik, Callaghan, Boyle, Pyatt, Rupp, Girardi, Stralman, Lundqvist & Biron are all pending UFAs, with Kreider as an RFA that same year.

Rangers are NOT going to be able to resign all their RFAs and pending UFAs so really they are ********d if the season is lost. Staal might be a casualty of them needing to shed salary. Trading RFAs won't get them a maximum return on their value.

To NYR - Kulemin, Gunnarsson & Percy
To TOR - Staal, Pyatt & another player with expiring contract to shed salary.

Kulemin replaces Pyatt on 3rd line and is an upgrade IMO. Gunnarsson & Percy can provide depth on their blue line in complementary roles as McDonagh/Girardi & Del Zotto/ Sauer would make up top 4 and eat most of the minutes.

Thoughts?
I actually think they'd look at trading off Del Zotto, Hagelin or even Gaborik next summer before even thinking about moving Staal.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote