View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Bolded is simply false.

1953 after the trade, Worsley won the #1 goalie position with the Canadiens. Charlie Hodge was sent to the Quebec Aces of the AHL.

In the 8th game of the season in Toronto, Worsley suffered a serious hamstring pull and was lost for app 6 weeks. Second hamstring injury in three seasons. Conditioning was always an issue for Gump Worsley.

Once the injury healed, Worsley had problems with conditioning and lateral movement. He was sent to Quebec to play himself into shape and regain the lateral mobility.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...worslgu01.html

see the injuries paragraph below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump_Worsley

Took well into the 1964-65 season before Worsley was back in NHL game shape.

Another issue with Worsley was his aversion to flying.
Appreciate the correction, I guess if he was ready by the '65 playoffs the Canadiens couldn't have been too upset all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Bower is already rated and I wonder if Worsley should be rated close to him. Their careers overlay each other with some direct competition in their early years. Worsley was the Ranger goalie in 52-53 and won the calder. In 53-54 Bower beat out Worsley for the Ranger job and Gump spent the season in the minors. In 53-54 Gump won the job back and Bower went to the minors. Gump then played several years with mostly bad Ranger teams without much recognition. Bower toiled in the AHL for several years with much recognition. As older players, they both did well with good teams. Each won 4 stanley cups and 2 Vezinas. Gump had 2 AS selections and Bower had one. Is there much difference in the careers of these two?
This is a very good point and you're right Worsley can't fall too far. I had Lumley above him last round, but he didn't seem to get much attention. You voiced support for him last round, do you mind if I ask how you see the two?

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 12-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote