View Single Post
Old
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Canada not only wins when there is a lockout and we have all of our best juniors but they destroy the competition by a significant margin. 1995 in Red Deer was a romp scoring 49 goals and going 7-0. 2005 was an even greater team. It was honestly like watching bantam hockey. I am used to Canada beating Norway or Belarus 8-1 and 9-1 but when we are doing it to Sweden and Finland that's another story. Then to smoke the Russians 6-1 in the Gold medal game. That team outshot the opposition in a way I've never seen and if you look at that roster I don't think I've ever seen a World Junior team with so much NHL success on their plate. The 2005 team was never behind in a single game, which is insane.

So yeah, if the lockout stays until January then I can't see Canada losing. They just never do in this situation, they don't even come close to losing. Nugent-Hopkins almost won the rookie of the year in the NHL and he's back to playing with a bunch of kids. I like those odds. So I pick Canada and somewhere they meet the Russians, maybe the Gold medal game.
Agreed although let's not get carried away. That 2005 team is a once in a generation team. It was kind of embarrassing seeing them destroy everybody. I loved it of course but the games were over by the second intermission. You can't say this version is as good or even close to as good as the 2005 team.

I still say though we will win gold. Having Nugent-Hopkins possibly would be huge along with Strome and Dougie Hamilton. Anything other than gold will be an utter failure IMO. Goaltending again will be a key spot for us. It hasn't been very good the last few years.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote