View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I'm more wondering where the Malkins and Ovechkins of the World could rank among all Russian hockey players, not just NHLers. Was there a given stretch of time where you could say a Russian hockey player was the best in the World? Or even top 3 like Malkin and Ovechkin have arguably been throughout their careers? I know Fedorov and maybe Bure have had claims to that title in individual years, but I'm more talking about a couple year stretch
The best Soviets all peaked during time periods when there was a great Canadian forward (Kharlamov with Esposito, KLM line with Gretz), so I don't think there was a Russian who could call themselves the best forward in the world until Ovechkin circa 2008 and Malkin right now. However, 99 and 66 were real outliers. You can make a good case that Makarov was the 3rd best forward in the world 1986-1989 (in the gap between Bossy's retirement and Jagr's rise), is that any less impressive than a Russian being the best forward in the world for a 3 year period right now?

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote