View Single Post
Old
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Jaden Schwartz reminds me of Michel Mongeau. First game I watched, I just noticed the similarities. Mongeau put up some gawdy numbers, but not quite at the next level. Not strong enough on his stick for the NHL. I hope I'm wrong. Just what I see, as a fair assessment.
Strange, considering Schwartz battled very well in his NHL games. His first goal, for example, came from some excellent digging in the corner and winning the puck from larger guys. That's just one example, but is not atypical - he's a battler.

If Schwartz fails at the NHL level, I don't think it will be due to not being "strong enough on his stick," but a combination of lacking size and speed, making him easier to defend, regardless of how strong he is on his stick.

We're not talking Sejna, for a recent example, who lacked size, lacked speed badly, AND lacked the willingness/ability to dig and take a hit. Sejna and Mongeau didn't debut in the NHL until their mid-20's. 25 in Mongeau's case. They were already completely developed as players and there was a reason they hadn't hit the NHL before. Schwartz has a lot more to prove, but he's already shown he can hold his own in the NHL at 19. Calling your assessment "fair" doesn't make it fair.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote